Monday, August 22, 2011

August 22nd

We got back to the Elephant House today at 12:30 am. My first thought was "I'm back at home, I've missed this place." Home is where your heart is, and at the moment my heart belongs to these kids at Rising Star. Kim 2 saw us arrive, and gave all of us a huge hug.

Today I realized that school starts. I would much rather be here in India washing feet and painting outhouses than be stuck in a classroom. No offense Alta-goers. The paint that we used to beautify the ugly cement buildings is lime based, and really irritates the skin. Unfortunately for us, we didn't know this while we were painting each other with it, but we found out not very long after it dried. Quite a few people had allergic reactions to it, and according to Dr. Susan, the top layer of their skin has been chemically burned. After painting, we went to the art school in the leprosy colony, and their paintings are all amazing. They go for 45 US dollars, and I already have one picked out.

At activity time today (4:30-6:00pm) we played basketball and soccer, and as usual, the kids destroyed us. Afterwards, at family time (7:30-9:00 pm) I read all the boys in my house Hansel and Grettle.

On the way home, I ran across a snake. It was less than a foot long, was the width of a shoe lace, and was quite dark in color. I didn't exactly want to catch it and show someone, so its identity remains unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment